- HBS Angels of Boston provides a forum for Harvard alumni to connect with, learn about, and invest in quality early-stage companies located predominantly in the Boston and New England area.
- Our angel investor members are Harvard Business School and other Harvard University alumni who are interested in investing in these early stage companies on an individual basis.
- Our members have extensive experience across industries and like to help strong entrepreneurs succeed. We assign an experienced mentor to each company in which we invest.
- We are a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit, part of the HBS Association of Boston, and affiliated with HBS Angels chapters on 4 continents (hbsalumniangels.com).
- The companies in which we invest do not need any Harvard affiliation.
Benefits of Membership in HBS Angels of Boston
- Learn to be a “professional” angel investor… no experience necessary
- Learn best practices in angel investing
- Gain from shared experience with HBS and Harvard colleagues
- Some members have years of angel experience, many are new
- No pressure to invest
- No minimum investment requirement (but must be an Accredited Investor to invest)
- Connect with other HBS and Harvard graduates. Graduates of all Harvard University schools are welcome.
- Gain access to a variety of investor education and events
- Seminars on Investing and Entrepreneurship
- Industry events (clean tech, healthcare, etc.)
- HBS Alumni New Venture Competition
- Virtual Learning
- Diversify your investment portfolio and improve your return potential:
- Angel investors invested almost $25 billion in 71,000 companies in 2015.
- According to a 2016 study from the Angel Capital Association, angel IRRs average 22% with an average cash-on-cash return of 2.5x.
- Take advantage of board, advisory, and mentor opportunities with early stage companies
Our Process for Members
- HBS Angels of Boston membership is included with HBSAB Presidents Club dues of $360 per year (join here).
- Once you are an HBSAB Presidents Club member, register as an HBS Angels of Boston Member on Gust (the venture capital SAAS platform).
- Active Angel Members screen start-ups and select 4-6 companies for quarterly pitch events (Attendance restricted to Accredited Investor Members only).
- After each pitch session, further due diligence meetings and calls are timed around individual schedules of interested Angel Members.
- For companies that reach the investment stage, interested Angel Members invest individually based on the terms of the negotiated term sheet.